Many times people use the terms personal brand and personal image interchangeably but, they shouldn’t. There is a BIG difference between the two! Once you understand the difference between them, it will make a difference in your business.
Let’s dive in…
Everyone has one! It what helps people form a mental picture of you. Here are some characteristics of a Personal Image:
- Sense of humor
- How you talk, the language you use, the accent you have
- Sense of style
- Favorite color
- Your overall preferences of what you like and what you do not like
A personal brand is how people perceive you and it sets the expectation of how you will conduct business with another professional. Your personal brand:
- Sets you apart from others in your industry
- Broadcasts your skill set
- Describes your work ethic is
- Provides insight into your character and values
- Illustrates the expected level value you provide
Think of your personal brand as your professional reputation on steroids. Your personal brand is the emotion, thought and an idea that is conjured up each and every time your name and business name are mentioned in your target market. What do you want that thought or idea to be for you and your business?
Now that you know how important your personal brand is, you must protect it at all costs by delivering a consistent message each and every time you interact with your target market whether it be on social media, through a marketing program, during a meeting, consultation or a deliverable product.