When was the last time you took an audit of your social media presence? Did it include analyzing your competition? Performing a social media audit can help you to see where you are at, project where you are headed, and see how you can improve your presence. The goal of an audit to to make sure you are still working towards your larger goals and figuring out how you can tweak the daily management of your accounts to align more closely with your vision.
On your own accounts:
- Make a list of all of your accounts
- Check the About description and information. Is it missing anything? Has anything been changed?
- Grab your network size numbers. Have the numbers grown in size since the last time you performed an audit?
- Dissect the user comments and engagement. Are you getting more engagement? Is the engagement positive? Who makes up your network on each account?
In a social media audit you should ask yourself these 4 questions:
- Where is my audience?
- Where is my audience active?
- Where is my audience searching?
- What niche social media sites are right for me?
Examine your social media profiles
Locate and document all your social media profiles, official and unofficial
- “Why are we using this social account?”
- “Why do we want to use it?”
- “What are our goals for this social media platform?”
- “Are our target markets using it?”
- If you no longer have a good reason to use the account or you find that your target market is elsewhere, don’t hesitate to cut ties and focus your effort where it is better spent
- Check for completion of all details on these profiles and for consistency in imagery and message
- Follow up on your goals and compare performance today to performance one and two years ago
Next, take a look at your competition:
- How frequently are they posting?
- What is their network size?
- Are they growing faster or slower than you?
- What is the level of engagement with their fans?
- Does anything stand out that they are doing well?
- What can you learn from each account?
Examine those who do it well…
Find 4 to 8 niche influencers and examine how they manage their brand on social media. Observe the imagery and branding on each of their profiles and then:
Measure key metrics like followers and engagement
- Branding: How does their overall look promote the brand? Can visitors get an accurate sense of their personality or culture? How have they chosen to use images in header and avatar?
- Popularity: How many followers/likes does the page have?
- Frequency: How often do they post? What do they do on weekends?
- Engagement: What is the number of people talking about the brand compared to the number of fans?
- Types of posts: What topics do they frequently discuss? What types of posts do they use: photos, questions, videos, chats, text? What is engagement like for each of these post types?
Where is my audience active & where are they searching:
Every minute, people are conducting millions of queries on Google, Twitter, and Facebook. If you are active on these social media platforms, then you have a chance at appearing in social media search results.
Any Niche sites? Just because 1 business gets leads from a site, doesn’t mean you will.
Free Social Media Checklists
Download your go-to guide for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, & YouTube. Easy reference checklists to make social media management a breeze.